Monday, January 14, 2013

Camera Crazy

I may have mentioned before that one of my ever growing list of items I collect is vintage cameras. I like to find cameras that have great old typography and design. Giant flash bulbs are a sure bet with me, too. :)

And every once and a while an item comes along that just stuns you. That happened to me on Saturday. I know that cameras are just things. And I shouldn't be coveting things. I should be treasuring moments. But I think one of my reasons for loving and collecting cameras is the treasured memories that they capture.

In these digital days, we take photos and delete the unpleasant ones. Back in the day, there was no delete. And it was always a surprise what would come back from the film. The few photos that our grandparents had of their parents, family and their childhoods were rare and treasured keepsakes.


Blah, blah, blah... On to my point! I found an antique Kodak camera that floored me. Honestly, I think my jaw hit the floor when I opened up this gem packed away in a tattered black box.


It even included the instruction booklet! Squeal! 



And thank goodness it did. I was able to open the back (the film opening) and see the accordion-style camera lens, but couldn't open the front. No matter, I decided. I would figure it out. The instruction book showed me exactly how to open it and slide out the lens.


I love it! It is open and being displayed with my family photos, like all my other vintage cameras.


Did I mention how much I loved the typography and lines? :)


I like to imagine what photos this camera captured. Oh, and look at that - yes, I could clean it, but that is just my favorite color!

How about you? Have you found any special additions to your collections lately? I'd love to know!

Happy Monday!


Sometimes I link up with the following fabulous linky parties: The 36th AvenueA Ruffled Nest, At the Picket FenceAtkinson DriveBe Different Act Normal,Between Naps on the PorchBeyond the Picket FenceBlissful & DomesticBowdabra BlogCheerios and LattesThe Chicken ChickCoastal CharmCommon GroundThe Cottage MarketCountry Momma CooksCrystal & Co (The Mommy Club)The Dedicated HouseDIY Show OffDo Small Things With LoveElizabeth & Co.Embracing ChangeFaded CharmFamily Every AfterThe Farmhouse PorchFinding Fabulous, Fine Craft Guild, Fireflies and JellybeansFree Pretty Things!, French Country CottageFresh Eggs Daily, Ginger Snap CraftsHappy Hour ProjectsHigh Heels and GrillsHome stories AtoZHouse of HepworthsHubby Made MeI Heart NaptimeLil' LunaLadybird LnLife on Lakeshore DriveLittle Becky HomeckyMandatory MoochMilk & CuddlesMod Vintage Life, My Repurposed LifeMy Romantic HomeMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaNap Time CraftersNifty Thrifty ThingsNot Just a HousewifeOne More TimeProject Inspire, Primp Your StuffRedouxRooted in ThymeSavvy Southern StyleShabby Art BoutiqueSimple Home LifeSix Sisters' StuffSkip to My LouSomeday CraftsThe Shabby Creek CottageStuff and NonsenseTatertots and JelloThirty Handmade DaysTimewashedTip JunkieTwigg StudiosUncommon DesignsUnder the Table & DreamingThe Vintage Farmhouse, Western Warmth, ...

10 comments:

  1. I love old cameras as well. I think it is for the memories of the moments captured. Love your new one. I love the little brownie ones. I wish that I would have saved all of my old ones. I do have my last non-digital one. Someday it will be a collectible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this camera! I want one so bad. Thanks for stopping by A Geek in Glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love vintage cameras and have quite the collection myself! I haven't come across one with a box and instructions though, that is a treasure for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fab! I have a few too and love them. I collect a lot of ironstone and vintage ephemera and so many more things. I need to stop, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a find! And how amazing to have the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOLY COW I am jealous! Where do you look for vintage cameras? I have been wanting to start a collection. You may just be my new favorite blog. Crafting, thrifting, crazy? Sounds like me!

    Stopping by to say thank you so much for linking up with us this week for the GFC Collective, now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three photographers in my house, myself, my hubby and my daughter. We love vintage cameras too. Nice post:) www.sewsweetvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dori,
    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award!
    http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/p/liebster-a.html

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me hear what you have to say...