Thursday, January 31, 2013

Blush and Bashful

10 points if you can name that movie!!!! :)

Warning: This post will probably turn into a series. But first it needs a backstory. 

You see, I waited a long time for my baby girl. I was surrounded by boys and their "boy stuff". My husband, my wonderful son, and my dog - a very aggressive male at that. I felt like I was surrounded by testosterone. Sports, cars, trains, trucks, rough and tough.

Never having been a girly-girl myself I didn't mind. I appreciated my family. But after almost 6 years, I started to wish for a sweet baby girl to have tea parties together and embrace my feminine side. Then finally, as fate would have it, my baby girl came into our lives. 

And, yes, I may have gone overboard, but all I could see was pink. Pink car seat, pink stroller, pink bouncies... And, of course, a pink bedroom.

I knew I wanted white furniture for her nursery. It is all from Young America by Stanley Furniture. The paint color is French White. Aptly named, no? Not pure white, but not cream, either. A lovely soft white. The bed converts to a full size bed when she's ready. The bedding was from Pottery Barn Kids on clearance. I LOVED it and still want to come up with some way to repurpose/upcycle her crib bumper. It is so beautiful! 


These photos are from her bedroom in our last house. {We moved 2 years ago, but these photos show how her room was originally designed.} We knew we planned to move, so I didn't want to paint the closet doors or trim. I opted to remove the doors completely and paint the back wall a soft green. My son helped me {he was 6 at the time}, and I left his little imperfections as a memento.


The lamp is Simply Shabby Chic from Target and the gorgeous carousel clock was from a local baby boutique called Cradles and All, where I also got the furniture. 



This curio (or doll cabinet as the catalog called it) was a MUST! I fell in love with it. However, since my daughter turned 3 and became very rambunctious, we decided to remove this piece from the room. Too much glass on spindle legs. I guess I planned on having a very calm little girl. My mistake! :) It now resides in my sunroom as craft/fabric storage. Not a bad consolation.


I filled the curio with felt bakery goodies and a felt tea set from various etsy shops. Each little treat has so much attention to detail. Too bad our puppy ate the strawberries off one of them. :(


From left to right, top to bottom: Felt Play Food Cheesecake and Tea Cakes from feltfakerybakery, Lady Sassafrass Felt Tea Set from kiddycoutoure, Beautiful Felt Food Cakes from daisydaydreamsYou Pick 4 - Felt Assorted Cupcakes also from feltfakerybakery, and Felt Cake Dessert Set - 3 Pink and Lemon Cakes from onenonly88.


Quick Note: I apologize for the photos, this was with an old camera and blackout blinds in the window! Ahhh, what a few years and time spent with a camera will teach you. 
My son picked out a white beluga whale stuffed animal for his baby sister from The Shedd Aquarium which is hanging out on the corner of her crib - if you were wondering what that white blob was. :)


I got a handmade mobile from etsy to hang over her crib, as well. I hung it from the ceiling with a small planter hook. There are at least 100 butterflies floating from it. All in different patterns of pink, green, white and yellow. It is from littledreamersinc.


Here's the view from inside the crib. She loved it when I would gently blow on the butterflies and they would dance around above her. Her new bedroom has a vaulted ceiling and I wasn't able to incorporate it into the room. Plus, she would try to climb her crib rails to touch the butterflies. 


It was very hard to get a decent photo of the vinyl lettering I added above her crib. It was a soft white color that said, "Such a big miracle in such a little girl." So sweet and I loved the mix of fonts.


Can you see my little baby girl in her bouncy in the reflection of the mirror on her armoire? She was snoozing while I took these photos. The pretty dresses that hang in the closet above her were some of the only girly clothes I ever got her to wear before she started making up her own sense of style.

There have been many changes to her room since we have moved. Due to her growing up and being a little rascal. And especially due to her above mentioned self-declared style: part biker chic, part sports star, part rapper, part rockstar. She is truly one of a kind.

Stay tuned for more in this series on how my baby girl's room evolves.


Linking up to the following wonderful parties: Make it Pretty Monday

6 comments:

  1. How cute! Hey, after being surounded by all that manhood, I don't blame you for going all out pink! Besides, I love pink! Love white furniture too! Adorable room and I can't wait to see the updates! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, new follower from the GYB Blog Hop. Cute photos! Loving the white furniture. :)

    xo,
    Kristin
    aboutagirl.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. This room is just so beautiful.I have two little girls and have loved doing their rooms. My oldest completely has her own style now and my vintage look is not so popular anymore :-(!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am VERY interested in seeing how this project evolves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very sweet and pretty! Love the mobile. Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there-I just came across your blog and love love the curio, how in the world can I find that?
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me hear what you have to say...