Thursday, August 23, 2012

Ruffled Nest - The Studio Sale

Many of you probably already know A Ruffled Nest and the inspiring blog writer and shop owner, Sherrie.

Just last week I luckily read her post about having a sale at her studio that Friday and Saturday. I was so happy to discover she was only a 30 minute drive from where I live. Isn't it funny in blogland how close {and also how far} you can be and not realize it? Her shop is located in the very charming town of Sycamore, Illinois.

Ruffled Nest - The Studio

I vowed to try to make it to the sale if I could book a babysitter {my hubby was at a mandatory coaching conference}. Well, our summer babysitter is back at college - BOO! Not for college, but for us missing her. And our other regular babysitter I had come on Friday. She was so worn out by my lovely littles that I just couldn't bring myself to ask the poor thing for Saturday - or, worse yet, have her say NO because she never wanted to babysit again. :(

L*O*V*E the window panels with old handkerchiefs!

So, I took the risk of bringing my little ragamuffins with me. Please don't get me wrong. I love my children. In fact, the majority - if not all - of my life is based around them. But they can drive a momma crazy after a long, hot summer. And a girl has to carve out her own identity now and then. Painted furniture and Ball jars are how I stay sane. Can't explain why - it just is what it is.

Two-tone purple and cream highboy, painted frames, comfy chair

I am so glad I made the trip - despite playing referee every 5 seconds. After putting a dime in the parking meter on Main Street - {YES, parking meters still exist! So charming this small town was, I tell you.} - and followed the sweet, shabby signs directing us around back to the alley.

Adorable little pink table with vintage finds for children's rooms 

I was afraid there wouldn't be much left on Saturday, but I was pleasantly surprised at all the wonderful eye candy. I do believe there was probably constant rearranging going on to fill the space.

Fab old doors, cute fabric garland, aqua Ball jars, twine...what more could a girl want?

Please excuse the camera phone photos - I did not plan to bring the good camera and the kids. That's just crazy talk.

Had to get a photo of this - very enviable - arched screen door and chippy windows above.

I was in such awe of all the amazing salvaged doors and windows. I asked Sherrie if I could do a post. I hadn't planned it. I just knew that taking photos just for kicks seemed strange. But writing a post seemed less stalker-ish. :)

Turquoise painted dresser topped with great vintage glasses and linens

One of the items that caught my eye in Sherrie's sale preview post was the vintage glass set in the photo above. {My photo does NOT do it justice. You must click here to see her photo.} Anyhow, I actually was so distracted that I forgot to buy them! And a little side table in the back, too. :(

Huge shabby bird cage with great details and selection of books and gift items.

Sherrie has such an eye for display. I just wanted to spend time scouring each vignette.

Big cabinet filled with so many vintage goodies and new handmade bags 

Sherrie's sister sews the purses on display. The messenger bag above in the cutest grey and yellow pattern had tons of pockets inside and out - zippered pockets no less. Very impressive handy-work if you ask me.

Adorable display of doilies as bunting, along with many french inspired goods
There were touches of shabby chic, vintage, French inspired decor - and great lighting options - lamps and amazing chandeliers like the little beauty below.

great little chandelier - and loving the white painted brick wall

Sherrie's talent was obviously not limited to the displays, but evident in the all the painted furniture throughout. I bought a great desk & chair for my son and a gorgeous vintage mirror for my dining room, despite my distractions. {I will post photos once they are in their rightful places.}

Amazing aqua highboy, peacock feathers and a cage hanging lamp

But this piece above was such a show-stopper. I am still kicking myself that I didn't buy another house to have somewhere to put it! Wouldn't this look perfect in a lake or beach house? Of course, it could also make for beautiful and spacious craft/art supply storage. :)

a plethora of vintage china (with the cutest apron skirted display table)

There were little surprises around each corner. I found this mock kitchen in the back of the store. SO CUTE! I kind of just wanted to pull up a chair and have coffee. Ignoring the distant distress call from my son that my daughter had just bit him. But, alas, the life of Mom is never dull.

Honestly, if I had just 20 more minutes and less worrying that my kids were burning the place down, I would have cleaned her out completely! {Well, truthfully, I would have needed a bigger vehicle - or less passengers.}

a small, shabby vignette in the powder room
I was so inspired by Sherrie's shop. She also had some help with setup - her mother-in-law and Anne Marie from Na-Da Farm Life were there. {Um, How exciting!} I have been a follower for a long time. Anne Marie was wonderful. Very calm and welcoming in spite of my obvious disarray.

Sherrie and Anne Marie
Sherrie could not have been more gracious and lovely. Just like her shop.

If you should find yourself in the vicinity of Northern Illinois - I highly recommend scheduling a trip to Ruffled Nest - The Studio. It is located at 113 S. California Street in Sycamore. The following is from Sherrie's blog with sale dates below.

image via A Ruffled Nest

33 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the lovely blog post about my shop. it was so much fun meeting you and your adorable children. I hope you will be able to make it back in Sept. I can't wait to see the pictures of your new desk and mirror!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherrie! I hope you have time to stop back and read the wonderful things people have said about your shop here in the comments. :)
      I need to rewire the mirror to hang horizontal, but I cannot wait to show it off! And my son's room needs to be a LOT cleaner before it is camera ready. He gets his hoarding tendencies from me. :)
      But as soon as they are, there will be a new post dedicated to my finds at your shop.
      ~Dori

      Delete
  2. What an awesome shop! I loved all of your pictures or the lovely items! I really love that aqua chest on chest! I know what you mean about needing to buy another house to fit in everything you like! LOL! Too bad Sherrie's shop isn't near Virginia (major bummed out sigh) Isn't that umbrella just too cool? Love it! Thank you for sharing your adventure! I'll be following and looking forward to more posts! Hugs, Leena, pinkcherubmoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leena,
      Thank you so much! Now following you, too. I just saw that we purchased the same aqua pitcher at Home Goods. :) Great minds shop alike!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This is SUCH an inspiring little shop! she is VERY talented, and I don't blame you for one second for posting about it...!!! I would have taken as many pictures if not more....
    Thanks you so much for sharing! It is a real energizer to see her creativity...
    Thank you, Dori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherrie has one outstanding shop, just full of charming goodies, and her displays are so awesome.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great place to shop. I just dropped a lot of virtual money! Hi! Thank you for sharing your fabulous shopping trip at at Potpourri Friday! Hoping you will make it a weekly or regular party stop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely little shop
    you got to visit

    parking meters and all

    i'm a little jealous!

    thanks for sharing
    at Fridays Unfolded!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time... What a fun place to shop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a lovely post and a very sweet thing for you to do. Every bit of exposure a shop can get, helps build their business. If it were not 2,000 miles away, I would be driving there, too.
    Thanks for sharing. Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. It really was lovely - I hope I was able to capture that in my camera phone photos :)

      Delete
  10. Hi friend, I awarded you a blogging award today. But you have to come to my blog for the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! I am almost done writing up my post. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  11. What a fun store! I love one picture that has lace handkerchiefs. I'm a new follower, feel free to follow back at www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...what a wonderful shop...thanks for letting us browse!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a darling shop. Very fun place to do some serious shopping.
    I'm a new follower, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Alice! Thank you for following! I hopped over to your blog and love it! I tried to find the place to follow. Do you have Google Friend Connect?

      Delete
    2. Please disregard! When I went it was not showing, but now it is. Following along with you now, too!

      Delete
  14. Everything is beautiful! I'm a new follower from the Mom's Mingle and I'd love a visit back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com when you get the chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heaven! I love your blog header too <3

    Sarah @ fancyco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Honey! And thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me hear what you have to say...