Tuesday, August 28, 2012

It's the Little Things: Door Knob Plates

At a great garage sale this summer, I came across a collection of vintage door knob plates in various shapes and conditions. The owner had them in a cast-off box, considering them junk. He offered the whole bunch up for a steal! To be honest, I am still not sure if they are door knob plates, key plates, etc. Whatever the correct term, they are just one of the little things that make me happy.

Here is my recently acquired collection:




So my mind is churning about how to use these little babies.

Here are some ideas I have found - all images are sourced from Pinterest and can be found here:


Love this pennant made from probably 20 key plates.


This altered art piece from BCJcreations on Etsy is so inspiring! I love me a vintage camera!


Here is a birdhouse with the door knob and plate -  
and it looks like the skeleton key is in place as a stand for its little visitors.


Another amazing repurpose idea - this is a double whammy! Pretty genius if you ask me.
It is a bookcase made with an old door and the key plate is left on the side for adornment.


This wall decor above is from Country Living in an article about decorating with Baroque style. 
But I think you could use any style or era door knob/plate to get this effect.


A very inspired take on repurposing the key plate above. It is turned into a bracelet!
Look at the patina on that! Not sure if it's authentic or recreated.


I like the idea of adding numbers to make a house number outside. Very clever!


A cute picture frame has been altered with patterned paper, rub-ons and a door knob and plate. 


WeddingChicks.com showed off this great repurpose of a door knob and plate. 
Again, adding a number, but then adding a stand to turn it into a table number.


Super cute Shabby Chic take on a hanger at TheMotherHuddle.com

Well, I have been really inspired by my research. Now I just need to get to work. Still have to decide if I leave them as is - or paint a few the same color like some ideas above. :)

If you have any great ideas, I would LOVE to hear them! 

15 comments:

  1. They're called escutcheons and I love them! You really made quite a find! There are so many things you can make with them, as you saw on Pinterest! That's the kind of yard sale I need to find - one that has these and other old pieces and not just crud LOL! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leena! I thought escutcheons were just the actual keyhole. I love that word, but didn't want to use it improperly! :)

      Delete
  2. I love all of these ideas, will be hunting for more door knob plates now. I would love to make the light chandelier in the first pic, and I love the knobs and plates painted white. thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tobey,
      I am loving the chandelier, too! I'm sure it would look just as good with mismatched plates, too. Very eclectic! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. How, those are all really cool uses of doorknob plates! Love it! I'd definitely wear the bracelet one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - that bracelet is very cool - steampunk, even. Now, I just need a mallet and something round to pound it on. :)
      Thanks for stopping by, Rachel!

      Delete
  4. You have a quite a collection there - love it! So many things you can use them for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not find your email address on your blog. You've just been featured on my weekly Welcome Wagon Friday. You should be receiving visitors shortly. Welcome to the neighborhood!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda! Aren't you fabulous! I commented on your site, but wanted to follow up here, too. Thank you so much for featuring my little blog! It was such a lovely surprise. And thank you for reminding me, I need to update/add some social buttons, don't I?
      Thank you again!

      Delete
  6. Welcome. Here from Benda's blog. What a nice collection you have. I am signing up to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debby! Thanks so much for stopping by and following! Heading to your site now! :)

      Delete
  7. What an awesome find! All of the ideas are great, and I'm sure you'll come up with some great ideas of your own!
    We were both featured at Cozy Little House today - wanted to stop by to say hello! I'm now following...
    Brenda
    cottage4c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda!
      I've seen your kitchen door featured everywhere this week! How wonderful! You deserve it!
      Following you, too! :)

      Delete
  8. Hello,
    Love your blog, have an odd question. I have a very old house that has these escutcheon plates. We've been searching for matching ones to replace some that are missing in our house. You happen to have 4 of the plates we need in the picture you posted above. I was wondering if you would be willing to sell them to me. Specifically the one on the far right of the top row and the 2nd, 4th and 6th ones on the second row. We've had a terrible time finding the matching escutcheons and would be forever grateful if you would be willing to part with a few of yours.
    You can contact me at alyssamallett@gmail.com

    Thank you sooooo much!
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me hear what you have to say...